Friday, April 24, 2009

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

I have found that I have my own Jekyll and Hyde type issue.

If you were to come across me today, you would see a man with short hair, no facial hair, and mostly normal clothes. When I worked at Carrier, I became a khaki and polo type guy. Now that I am a student, I am slightly more casual, but still your typical t-shirt and short guy. I would introduce myself as Will, we might say a few cordial words, but you'd probably forget me. And yet, this is what society seems to want. I am supposed to just blend in. You might not forget me if I had visible tatoos or facial piercings, but you also would not want me tutoring your kids or serving your food (both things I do).

Unfortunately, there is something in me that lurks just below the surface. He is DAlen. Nobody forgets DAlen. Although he knows lots of people, MORE people know him...more people know OF him. Its probably the mohawk. Plus, of course, once you ask him to repeat his name 5 times and then you understand what he is saying, you just dont forget the name. You especially dont forget him if he is interviewing for a job...even with the mohawk down in "business" mode.

So, who would you hire first? The guy you forget? or the guy who you remember, but only because he doesnt fit?

I have been really wanting to go back to DAlen for awhile. I of course cant re-cut my hair because I am a server, but I can go back to the name. Will has been nice and easy, but maybe DAlen will hold some new interests for me. Maybe i'll get that internship afterall and I can ease into the mohawk. Those people seem passive enough that nobody would say anything. I would have to make my value known first, but then I think it would work. Of course, they would need to return a phone call first.

As for the ending of this random rambling...I got nothing.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Plus, of course, once you ask him to repeat his name 5 times and then you understand what he is saying, you just dont forget the name.
This part made me LOL IRL. And reminded me of the first time I met my bff, Marian. Mary Anne? Mariam? Miriam? How do you spell it?! Ohhhhhh!!! And then I met a French kid this past Friday whose name was something like Cloves. Had to get him to spell it before I could understand wtf he was saying. I think my ears are broken.

Also. I love that you've categorized yourself into two different personas. I had no idea there were different personalities associated with Will than with the DAlen I know. Honestly, after reading your descriptions of each, I'm gonna have to say that "basic" Will cant hide DAlen through mere conversation. Sure, Will can be summarized as a generic approach to societal standards of corporate aesthetics, and since he's easier to reconcile with company expectations, he's more likely to get hired. However (and I'm no hiring manager) it seems the potential flamboyance in the eccentricities of all things DAlen would truly merit a call-back/second interview.

But really. They're both you.

And I'm not too sure if your post was hypothetical, metaphorical, rhetorical, etc. or if you were literally asking for an opinion of the two.

(P.S. I enjoy your writing style.)