Friday, July 21, 2006

Dalen's cool weather tip

Tip of the day:
So, when it is really hot outside in the sun, and there is no shade around, the best thing to do is create your own shade. This can either be done by forcegrowing a tree to make in instant canopy (very difficult to do) or by simply burning 100s of acres at one time so that your smoke column is so great that is literally creates its own clouds that block out the sun. I would suggest this second option

We burned with the Dept of Foresty again last monday, doing another aerial ignition burn and torching some 600 acres of fire-dependant ecosystem in less than 3 hours. Then, it was back to the Gainsville area for burns on tuesday and wednesday. Because of working until saturday last week and because of burning so much in the beginning of the week, we worked only a part day on Thursday and had today off.

I cant decide if its hotter wearing tyvek and gutting houses, or wearing nomex and setting fires. I feel like I sweat more gutting, but its hard to get hotter than fire. I am learning a lot and enjoying it still, although it is quite exhausting. the workouts have been pushed to the wayside in favor of reading and more restfull activities. My term here is about half way through...and then its back to the lovely queen city. I miss everyone there and look forward to seeing all of you soon.

--DAlen

No comments: