Sunday, December 09, 2012

December it is...or as some call it...Christmas


Merry Christmas everyone!  yes...it is that time.  The month-long event we call Christmas.  Or, as some of you will be happy to refer to it... NOT Movember.  I have shaved, and now have regained my youthful, non-creepish-ly '70s, face.  Stay tuned for next year, in the 11th month, when my mustache will return!

no mustache!

One last note about the end of November.  I am grateful for thanksgiving, when we are reminded to be thankful.  This time also coincides with the thing I am most thankful for, so, it should be easy for me to remember.  For about 25 years ago, Hannah Raines was born.  And although I didn't meet her until about 21 years after she was born, it has been pretty awesome having her in my life, both as a friend and as the woman i love.  Its been about 3 or 4 years, and I hope it will be many more. 

Also no mustache! (now with a crown!)


Thanks to the internet, I can figure out where there is a local bakery no matter where she goes.  And everyone loves cupcakes...especially on their birthday.

Cake...AmeriCorps Style (from her TL)
So, now, its December.  This means slow times, cold weather, and eating.  I have been eating so much junk.  This would normally be a problem, but I am not training this month.  Which means... friendship bracelet time.  I wouldn't really be able to wear a bracelet while training since it might get caught on someone's finger or something.  And although I have been itching to get it on (Hannah made it for me...twice!), I am not in a hurry to remove a training partners finger.  Imagine the bleeding!

Two of my most important reminders. 
December also means Men's Shelter.  The first Friday of every month, I end up at the Uptown Men's Shelter.  We cook and feed about 300-400 men.  They know when they see Beth walking in, that the food is going to be good.  All the smiling and warm hearts of Holy Comforter Episcopal come out and cook up a storm.  Occasionally, they even get some bonus items when we are around.


Doritoes and TicTacs.  Score!

Not too much longer for Christmas...for real Christmas.  In an effort to make time go by, "Operation Keep Busy" is in full effect.  Justin and I went off to the woods this weekend.  It was nice to be out in the middle of nowhere.  We encountered some rain, some cold, much wind, and a general bleak calm and quietness that really resets the soul.  Now my room smells a bit like a used REI, but no matter.  Everything dries in time. 








In case I don't see you.  Merry New Year, Happy Christmas, and blessings to you in whatever form they may take. 




Some Miscellany:



Yep...L-shaped carrot.  Tastes the same.


Little did I know how important this would be to my relationship

Hannah claims in her most recent blog post that I am "doting."  could have something to do with this little bit of voodoo she has done on me.
http://hannahmraines.wordpress.com/posts-are-here/

I guess i got my own little bit of voodoo too though.  Here is a sewer cleanout cap made in Charlotte...which she came across in San Antonio at her Habitat site.  There's no escaping thought of me.




1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Christmas is my favorite time of year. Time to enjoy family and food, but mostly to enjoy helping others by donating time and talents to helping those who don't have the blessings we so often ignore. We are come together to celebrate the birth of our savior who was born and then died for us and who made all possible. Hopefully, we can continue to shine his spirit all year through. Merry Christmas, DAlen, and we can't wait to spend time with you!