Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Trail Run/ Ops Challenge

Well...I decided to take the month of August off from Jiu Jitsu.  The original plan was to sit on the couch, but that has not really worked out.  And that is not even talking about all the time I spend working on the bath remodel (so close to done I can taste it).  Here is what i have been doing, from a physical fitness standpoint.  (I'm now unsure why anyone would be interested in this...but I have already written it all...so....)

1) Triathlon?

Last year I eyed an off-road triathlon at the whitewater center.  There was some conflict and I wasn't prepared, so it didn't work out.  Its a beast.  Not something you do off the couch.  This year though...I had my eye on it for longer and was in the process of getting ready for it.  Then, it rained.... for 2 months!  sheesh.  I wasn't able to get any of the mountain biking in that I needed.  I had been swimming and running, but the biking was surely going to kill me.  So, I threw in the towel once again and didn't register for the race.

2) OK.  we'll just run

Instead I showed up a day early and ran the trail run.  It was either the 3.6 mile or the 7.8 mile option.  Wanting to get my money's worth and not really wanting to only run a 5k+ (just too short), I opted for the long run.  It was a long run indeed, but at least on trail you don't get bored.  You don't get bored because there is a constant threat of falling hazards.  I.E. the second you stop looking down and start to enjoy the view, a root grabs your foot and you crash down onto a rock that has rolled under you.  Gotta focus on every step.  I finished the race in 1 hour and 20 minutes at almost exactly the middle of the pack.  The real highlight though was seeing that the little kid I passed finished my same distance.  He was super tiny and passed under my arm in the beginning to get in front of me on the trail.  I eventually passed him and never saw him again.  He had his $$$ jersey on with a visor and headphones and hand bottles for water.  The kid will probably run great distances in his life and he is probably more of a man that most of the guys out there on couches today.  Good for tiny Wonderboy.  Inspirational.

3) Ops Challenge

The real problem is that i have this insatiable desire to compete and measure where I am.  That being said, I have gotten involved with this thing called "Operations Challenge" at work.  Its sort of meant to be for maintenance and operators at water and wastewater plants.  I work in an office, but I'm willing to learn and never shy away from a physical challenge.  So, I have been starting my days with practice.  Last week was the maintenance event (take apart a mixer, take apart a pump, put them back together).  I'm the safety and mixer guy.  I can get through it in about 4 minutes.  As a team we can get through it in about 9 minutes.  But we are getting better.  And its a lot like working out.  Here is a good video showing what we do.  Its not us, but all the teams do the same challenge.

Note:  there were a few minutes cut from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w22RBitK5Yk

This week we are beginning practice for the collections event.  That means trying to saw through 6" of PVC as fast as you can.  And then doing it again.  Fast teams can do the whole event in 2 minutes.  We are still practicing and haven't timed ourselves yet.  My arms are jelly though.  I think I practiced about 7 or 8 cuts this morning and even did the hole drilling a couple times.  That is an equally challenging and miserable part of the event.  Like i said...its a lot like working out. Way more fun though of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Y34a_wFAg





6 comments:

Jodhpuri suits said...

Waoooo this post is just awesome. In-fact i m going to tell all of my friends also. Very well post thanks for sharing...

kevin antony said...

This is most informative and also this post most user friendly and super navigation to all posts... Thank you so much for giving this information to me.
rpa training in chennai
rpa training in bangalore
rpa course in bangalore
best rpa training in bangalore
rpa online training

sai said...

I love the blog. Great post. It is very true, people must learn how to learn before they can learn. lol i know it sounds funny but its very true. . .
python training in chennai
python course institute in chennai

Unknown said...

I simply wanted to write down a quick word to say thanks to you for those wonderful tips and hints you are showing on this site.
Data Science Training in Indira nagar
Data Science Training in btm layout
Python Training in Kalyan nagar
Data Science training in Indira nagar
Data Science Training in Marathahalli | Data Science training in Bangalore

nisha said...

The Blog is really very Informative. Concepts are explained very neatly.contents really admired.

Data Science Training Course In Chennai | Data Science Training Course In Anna Nagar | Data Science Training Course In OMR | Data Science Training Course In Porur | Data Science Training Course In Tambaram | Data Science Training Course In Velachery

Revathi said...

wonderful post!!!. The strategy you have posted on this technology helped me to get into the next level and had lot of information in it.thanks lot!!!

Android Training in Chennai

Android Online Training in Chennai

Android Training in Bangalore

Android Training in Hyderabad

Android Training in Coimbatore

Android Training

Android Online Training