Saturday, June 15, 2013

My favorite things about summer

I have been loving a lot of things happening around me lately.  Just in case you were wondering what they are, I have compiled a list.  If you weren't wondering, well, I still got this list...partly because I am not sure what else to write about and I wanted to offer something a little different, from a format perspective.  (note: if you have some topic you are interested in hearing me write about...please let me know.  As many of you probably know, I have opinions on EVERYTHING!  and I think they are mostly well thought out, so, yeah...I can write about something random if you suggest it).  anyway...

1) Storms-  We had a crazy front come through yesterday.  They kept saying it might spawn Derechos. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho)  Or it was a derecho.  Not sure which.  The cloud turned crazy dark. The wind picked up.  We could see it coming.  It brought with it hail!  And then it rained super hard for all of 48 seconds.  A tree was blown down all the way across park rd (4 lanes).  It was basically the end of times...and then it was over.

2) Rain, glorious rain, and the vegetables it helps to grow- my garden is doing well this year.  Its still not perfect, but its doing much better than last year.  As a result, I am slowly converting most of my grass to garden beds to grow more food.  The peas have been really good.  The lettuce is good too.  The 'matos are growing well, fruits and all.  And I bought two blueberry bushes and one peach tree.  Probably going to plant one of the avocado trees tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes.  Might even be time to get the melon and gourd garden going.  I need some sand for that, but it might be time!

3) Construction Projects-  I got up this morning and went over to my friend Jerrod's house.  And we built us a shed dang it!  All we had was the floor he built last night when we started...but at the end of the day we had built and put up 4 walls, stick built and put up 7 trusses, sheathed the roof, and put up this really nice semi-interlocking siding OSBish stuff.  Now, that man has a shed!  No more cluttered garage.  Makes me excited to redo my shed.  First though, I have to finish up the full bath in the Ron Swanson Memorial Bedroom.  I knocked out an interior wall and turned two doorways into one big one.  Then I hired a contractor.  So far he has removed the exterior wall.  Monday he is going to install the floor and do a bit of framing.  Then I am going to install a shower or tub and drywall the rest of the room.  And then hang some really cool sliding doors.  Its going to be epic.

4) Cycling (mountainous and street)- I've been in the saddle so to speak a little more lately.  I really want to get out on the trails, but with the consistent downpours every 3 days, the trails are all closed.  Tomorrow might be my day (cross my fingers).  In the mean time I  have been spending time on the road doing the Booty Loop.  In case you're not in the know, The Booty Loop is a 4ish mile loop through Myers Park that all the cyclists love to go ride around. Around and Around.  Its got some good hills, but more importantly its got some really nice wide lanes and cars mostly stay in the other lane.  Plus, there are tons of GIANT trees, so much of it is in the shade.  Its a little slice of cardio heaven.

5) Patios-  I love eating outside.  This being the south and this being summer, its always 50 degrees indoors. Its the dumbest thing.  But outside...its nice.  A little sweaty maybe...but nice.  Nothing a margarita cant fix.

6) The LAST season without Hannah!- As many of you may know...my fiancey is finished with NCCC at the end of July.  And its June already...meaning, only a little more than 1 month before I see her again and she finally comes back to the south.  Can't wait! There is much hammocking and bike riding and cold beverage drinking and park sleeping and hiking and lake swimming to be had to makeup for lost time.

I love summer!

Dalen


No comments: