Saturday, October 15, 2005

Tommorrow starts the fire training

Tommorrow morning at 10:00 am we will get into a van and drive 6 hours to Georgia, to a small town called Baxley. There, we will learn about how to start fires in the woods and how to dig and cut and kill everything surrounding them so that they dont spread beyond where we want them to be. If California keeps burning we might get sent there to help with their flaming problems. Otherwise, we will be done on Friday and we will return to Charleston...

Once we get back, we will most likely have a few days off before we get on a plane headed south, somewhere between Mississippi and New Orleans. We will work 21 days straight, sometimes for 14 hour days. I anticipate by the 8th day I will have completely lost my mind, probably finding it again around the 14th day before losing it again on the 18th. I dont think I will die and have any permanent damage, but I will definately be a changed man when i return. My muscles will work constantly to support some of the burden caused by the disasters and if I get put behind a desk doing case work I will probably lose it emotionally at least once a day. Disasters look bad on TV, but they are much worse in perso, and we are diving in head first to a pool that aint deep enough. I anticipate 2 of my team members will quit, but I pray that we all make it through. much love to everyone out there supporting me. put me in your prayers.

--DAlen

No comments: