Friday, January 23, 2009

"I could have stayed home today"

"I could have stayed home TODAY"

So, I was somewhere, waiting for something...maybe it was an office or something. As I sit there, thinking about all the random stuff that crosses my brain daily (is there a way to harness the power of the criminal mind?), a lady walked past me. She looked over to a co-worker and said the quoted lines. The inflection in her voice was one of dread, as if she was having a not-so-day and she was staying that man, if she had only stayed home none of the issues she was apparently suffering from would have happened.

I thought to myself how easily it is that we can live in our own time and space and be completely oblivious. Now, I dont know what her specific issues were that day, but I am guessing they are not at all comparable to the problems many people are having today...problems that are a result of not going "in." Many people, me included, have lost jobs. We dont have a workplace to dread going to. Instead, we dread the money we have to borrow to eat or we dread the day after today, when we will likely continue to be unemployed. Nothing like being unemployed to really make you appreciate that job that you used to not care too much for.

I am not talking about people that are miserable at work. she clearly was not miserable. If you hate your job and would genuinely be happier without it, feel free to give it up. She was just sort of unappreciative that someone actually wanted her to work there... make not mistake about it. If you have a job, its because someone wanted you to work. I wish someone wanted me to work, then maybe my phone would ring. I mean really, i would even like it if my phone rang so they could tell me in person that they didnt want me, but maybe next time, and then i could get a chance to actually talk to someone. I feel like I am submitting a resume to a brick wall behind a curtain.

No comments: