Sunday, July 05, 2009

More tales from the streams

Save the forest?

Last week I was walking in Mallard Creek, which seems to go forever. At one particular place, I came to a part of the creek that has canyon like walls of 30' or more in height. For the most part, the banks of Mallard Creek are usually less than 15', so this was yet another twilight zone like moment (its peculiar how lots of instances become infinitely more creepy when youre alone in a creek bed or walking under a major road or interstate via long dark tunnel...I am very surprised, and happy, to not have found any bodies yet). The waterflow became a trickle as it came down over large rocks (i always walk UPstream), so I began to rock hop up the stream with my shovel and ultra-dexterity-suppressing waders. I saw a couple kids on the bank hanging out, but I didnt stop to talk or really take notice. I figured that I looked quite odd and didnt want to explain what I was doing anyway (although, I have a simplified thesis explanation of "walking in streams and looking at dirt in cutbanks" that only requires me to define one term). Eventually, I noticed, the kids seemed to be following me upstream. I couldnt tell if they were just walking upstream or trying to catch me. Anyway, with waders, I neednt worry about being in the water or out, so I was able to move faster than them. Eventually though, they got within earshot when I was looking at an exposure and they asked me what I was up to. More specifically, they asked me if I was with the forest service and if I was trying to "save the forest." they asked if I had a petition. They then were disappointed to find out I was just a grad student...especially since, as they told me, they would totally sign a petition if I had one. I guess the shovel/waders/clipboard really does give me instant credibility amongst hippie kids playing in streams. Wait a second...that used to be me. Crap. I have grown into a hippie kid, studying to work in streams. I told them to make sure they washed their feet when they got home (they were barefoot) because the water no doubt contained all kinds of bad stuff. They didnt like this last piece of adult-ish advice as they left me and they didnt respond.

Stay tuned for my next story about a rock that comes to life!

DAlen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are weird. I like that. Hope all is well and I read a couple of your entries...good stuff buddy. Talk to you soon!

-Reagan

Eric L said...

Were you calling the kids hippies? I was lost on that point. But yeah, two kids bored enough to play in the stream see some guy decked out in waders and "gee, wonder what he's up to? We've got nothin better to do.".

Hope the research is going well. See any interesting wildlife yet?