Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Holy cow its cold!

Well, I think it finally got here.  Winter.  Its windy and cold.  Leaves have all pretty much fallen onto my driveway and yard and Hannah's car.  Gumballs haven't fallen yet, but I imagine any day now, my backyard will turn into a giant booby trap for barefooted hippies.  So, what do you do when winter gets here?  You take all those various kinds of squash you got, you heat and blend them, and then you top them with Siracha.  Voila.  Squash bisque with fire.  So good.  So Spicy. 



8) Little Brother

I think I mentioned last time about trying to get my little brother to come visit.  I am trying to teach him to ride the bus and the light rail so he can have some autonomy and mobility.  Its important for youth to have the ability to strike out on their own and be the master of their own destinies in some way.  Additionally, I have been putting him to work...which strangely he enjoys.  He says its a lot like minecraft...a game he plays where you build stuff.  He has been asking me all these questions about how to do things.  These are things you apparently do in the game, and now he is curious about doing them in real life.  It would be strange if this computer game inspired him to actually become a craftsmen in real life.  I'll do my best to encourage this, especially since I strongly believe that a man should be able to create with his hands.  I upped his game and skill level this weekend by teaching him to use a power sander.  He now much prefers it to the hand sander.  We also worked on the string (pictured here).  Its almost fully wound.  I'll have to find some new means of mediation once i don't have that to occupy my hands. 















Also while Jahkeem was around, we went and picked up more clay tiles.  I have enough now to finish filling in the corner patch at my house so we can grow viny gourds and squash etc. there next year.  Its going to be pretty cool.  A clay patio with vines in the cracks.  I'll take a picture if I remember. 

If you had told me a year and a half ago that I would probably be in love with an NCCC member who knew how to use a skill-saw, I would have told you that you were crazy because my best friend Hannah (and potential girlfriend screener) wasnt looking to set me up with anyone in NCCC.  She was going to find me a nice local girl, my age who liked the outdoors, liked volunteering, and was in love with Sandy Kohn at the same magnitude that I admired and respected him (which is manquivalent to "love").  I mean sure, I would love to be with a girl who was in NCCC and knew how to use a skill-saw, but my AmerCorps days are long gone. How would I ever meet such an epic woman?   



Next time...

9) porch before she gets home!
Now that she is learning to build, I really need to get on this porch idea.  She told me that if I don't build it before she gets back, she is going to help, and the holly bush cant stay where it is!

10) check out my new driveway (project delayed by weather...and well, i kind of wanted my little brother to do it, but he didn't stay over as long as I wanted him too)

11) more pictures from the superphone!



No comments: