Friday, November 09, 2012

Dropped ball...and we're off again!

It turns out that I dropped the ball on this one.  Here I was waiting for Hannah to write something for me to respond to, and she had already done it.  The calls-and-responses on her blog will be tagged as "Who's will?"  Didn't even know categorizing things was possible. 

http://hannahmraines.wordpress.com/whos-will/

So, in response to this post, I thought I might talk a little more about the whole "Will" issue and about what Hannah is going to be experiencing for the next few days.

1) Will- because I'm tired of repeating myself 14 times every 6 weeks. 
In NCCC, you not only travel around, but you work with a variety of people.  And you work with new people at every project.  And you get new projects every so often (6-8 weeks).  Now, as many of you know, the name I chose to use at the age of 4 or 5 was Dalen.  You see, at that age, I had the feeling that William was just a little too formal.  Oh how wise I was.  So, DAlen was the name I used.  this worked well for the next 20 years of my life.  Then, partway through the year, right around our 3rd project, I reached my limit.  NO MORE!  We were working on a fire crew and meeting new people sometimes on every burn!  Easily 10 new people per week.  OH THE HUMANITY!

You see, nobody gets Dalen right the first time.  I have to repeat it.  And nobody ever spells it right either.  This was fine for people who would become friends or family.  I could take the time and be patient with them.  But for people I knew i might never meet again, I decided to go by "Will."  This is where many of you probably become insulted because I wasn't making long term plans with you the day we first met.  But this is also the moment where you realize you have made it to the next level...the Dalen level.  If you call me Dalen or refer to me as Dalen, you are either 1) a long term friend, or 2) family, or 3) Hannah has told you to call me Dalen, because she doesn't like Will.  If you call me Will, then either 1) you only know me professionally speaking or 2) this time next year you wont know me or 3) you agree, that's its just easier, and hey, it sounds kind of strong, and you prefer it, right?

2) Riding in Vans...FOREEEVVVEERRR
As Hannah mentioned before, it seemed like they were prepping and teaching her how to ride in a van. 

http://hannahmraines.wordpress.com/2012/10/26/riding-in-vans-with-corps-members/

She couldn't have been more correct.    As I write this, she is on her first of many long-distance trips in a van.  Driving from Denver to San Antonio is going to take about 17 hours, but must be broken up into 3 days (safety is a huge concern for NCCC).  So, the 1000 miles will pass a little slower than it might in a car, but its all part of the process.  I remember our longest trip being from Charleston to Little Rock.  It was only 900 miles, but it still seemed like forever.  And with all of our seats full, I was ready to never be near another person by the time we got there.  But, alas we persevered, and Hannah will too.  If there's one thing NCCC can instill, its resilience and patience.  Send her positive vibes.  She'll need it in the beginning.  Those van rides are like a war of attrition.  They are like marathons of sitting.  And everything out west is further away.  Hold her in your thoughts...you know, unless you already constantly do.  :) 

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

We hold her in our thoughts and prayers always...as do we you...:)