Saturday, November 12, 2005

Less than a week to go

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMIE!!!!

We leave beautifull Arkansas Friday morning. Just got back today from working at a place called Heiffer International. They breed and produce various different animals and send them to impoverished countries in order to allow the people to create food for themselves as well as to use the animals for farming, etc. Its a very intersting idea and it works off the whole "give a man, teach a man, fish" idea. It seems like a place i might go volunteer and work once AmeriCorps will no longer take me. Working in the farm setting reminded me of all the time I spent in Kentucky when i was young. I kind of miss it now to. Somehow amongst all the hard labor and dreaded work I had to do I gained a subconscious appreciation for it and now I feel like I could do it on a volunteer basis for a long time. I mean heck, really Americorps is possibly nothing more that manual labor for a good cause for 10 months. I guess working a lot as a kid maybe isnt such a bad thing. Thanks mom and dad.

I hurt my ankle a few days ago moving boxes. According to my estimates, we assembled possibly 40,000 disaster relief kits to be given out to victims. Thats a lot of boxes checked, packed, and moved. The ankle hurts though, so I will probably spend my Saturday night on the couch with some ice and Kerouac (unless I walk to the grocery for ice cream and bottled Coke).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMIE!!! Happy Birthday Rene!?? HAPPY WEDDING DAY RENE!!!

be great
--DAlen

PS I will most likely be back in Charlotte for Thanksgiving. Anyone know of anyplaces looking for volunteers to help feed people?

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Hey, that's cool about the Heiffer Project. They work here in Tanzania and in fact my buddy's host family has one of their cows and they sell milk to a lot of families in the area at a reduced price, including mine. It is a great program.

Anonymous said...

thank u for the shout out! ill be out of town the 22-25 (nov),but ill be in charlotte before dinner on the 25th. will u still be here?