Saturday, December 13, 2008

Operation Christmas Child

OCC (not to be confused with Orange County Choppers, not be confused with Orange County California) is a ministry of Samaritan's Purse that seeks to send shoe boxes of toys to kids all over the world, especially kids in third world countries.

I feel very conflicted about this program. On one hand, I am going to be volunteering probably about 20 hours with these people, I am not sure if the best way to spend that effort is to send them toys. Do kids need toys? How many of these kids need medical treatment or food, but instead end up with toys?

Make no mistake though....these people are dedicated and love what they do. The number of volunteers is astronomical, which is good because the number of shoeboxes is equally astronomical. The scale of this project is pretty incredible. Distributing the boxes is a tremendous undertaking. They go to all continents, often ending up in places that have no signs of modern civilization. They do end up brightening otherwise black-hole-dark lives. I do think that kids should be happy, but this just seems to me to be too much "Americana." All kids should have toys. That's a western view to me.

Furthermore, the program seems to be aimed at spreading the gospel, which I agree is a great idea. However, spreading the gospel to kids using toys seems to me to be a little off. Its lobbying. they are supposed to receive this shoebox as a reminder that God loves them. The shoebox doesn't address any of the real problems they have or will have. If I was one of the kids, I would understand God love. He loves me a shoebox worth, and even though I probably wouldn't have shoes, I would have a box from someone else's.

Maybe this is just me being jaded. Maybe this is just me wishing that all this zeal, all this enthusiasm over toys could somehow be changed to a cause that might genuinely improve the plight of these kids. Any ideas?

Regardless, Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Followed this link from facebook...

Ah, but it doesn't have to be toys. Some of those boxes are full of clothes and tools. And what if they are? If you received exactly one gift in your life, wouldn't you want it to be something cool, instead of rice? These little boxes are a piece of brightness, of joy, in so many places where there otherwise is none.

It is my understanding that these shoeboxes help existing ministries establish credibility with many of the people they're trying to reach. And remember, each box is a personal gift from someone to someone else. God knows, before the first item is purchased, which little one is going to end up with that box and the contents inside. There are so many stories of how kids get exactly what their little hearts have been desiring for a long time.

I understand exactly what you're saying, and have had similar concerns, but have researched it enough to put my own mind at ease. There are stories all over the internet of how well kids really do understand God's love upon receiving a box. A couple of places to start..

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/articles/eight_million_gifts_of_hope/

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1534611823/bclid1137749274/bctid1737010022

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/OCC/OCC_Impact/

http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk/?q=stories

Just some thoughts...